Immigration and Taxes

When Foreign Citizens become US Residents for Tax Purposes

There are two different methods the IRS uses when determining if a foreign citizen should be considered a US resident for tax purposes, the substantial presence test and the closer connection test. Find out whether the IRS considers you a US citizen!

Featured Articles

Exclusions for Non-Resident Aliens from their Gross Income

As a non-resident alien, you may entitled to exclude many forms of gross income from your tax return. Find out what exclsuions you may qualify for and save tax dollars!...more

Social Security and Medicare Taxes for Non-Resident Aliens

Do non-resident aliens have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes? The answer really depends on what type of visa that person holds. Find out more!...more

Qualifications for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

To be eligible to claim the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign housing exclusion, you must have a tax home in a foreign country and meet either the residence test or the physical presence test. Find out if you qualify!...more

Choosing Credit or Deduction for Income Earned Overseas

If you paid or accrued foreign taxes to a foreign country on income that was generated from a foreign source and are subject to US tax on the same income, you may be able to take either a credit or an itemized deduction for those taxes. The difference between taking the amount as a deduction or as a credit is rather simple. Find out which can save you more money.

Tax FAQs

FAQs For Aliens and US Citizens Living Abroad

As a US citizen working abroad, are my foreign earnings taxable? Where can I find local tax assistance when I live in a foreign country? Find the answers to these questions and more...