TEN LAST-MINUTE REMINDERS
By Julian Block
Some tips to make tax time as stress-free as possible.
- Sign the return; ditto for your spouse on joint returns.
- A paid preparer also must sign.
- Securely attach all W-2 forms (Copy B) and other required schedules and statements.
- Correctly enter Social Security numbers.
- Check the correct box for filing status and the correct boxes for exemptions.
- Fill in all the lines that apply to you.
- Enter income, deductions, and other items on the correct lines.
- Recheck the math on your return and schedules.
- Correct any mistakes on the IRS-supplied name-and-address label for your return.
- Put enough postage on the envelope, and show a full return address.