International Tax law

Foreign Investments in the US

Although there are no substantial restrictions imposed by the federal government on foreign investments in the US, a few industries do impose restrictions. Find out more.

Featured Articles

Foreigners Buying US Stocks

Foreigners interested in buying U.S. stocks in companies don?t pay any tax on the purchase, but they cannot deduct losses on that sale either. Find out more!

Deducting Business Expenses While Traveling Overseas

What are the basic rule and restrictions when it comes to deducting business expenses when your client is traveling abroad? Find out here!

Do Off-Shore Asset Protection Trusts Really Work?

Offshore asset protection trusts offer businessmen an opportunity to escape from the tax wrath of the IRS. By placing their assets in a foreign jurisdiction, they don?t pay any U.S. taxes and they are able to keep their money out of the hands of their creditors. But does this method really work?...more

Tax Credit for Foreign Taxes on Overseas Investments

Depending on the amount of money your client spent on overseas investments, they may or may not have to include Form 1116 with their tax return.

Off-Shore Accounts

Is it in your client?s best interest to establish an offshore trust for their assets? Take a look at our list of pros concerning offshore trust issues.

Qualifications for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

To be eligible to claim the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign housing exclusion, a client must have a tax home in a foreign country and meet either the residence test or the physical presence test. Find out if yours qualifies!

Choosing Credit or Deduction for Income Earned Overseas

If a client paid or accrued foreign taxes to a foreign country on income that was generated from a foreign source and is subject to US tax on the same income, you may be able to take either a credit or an itemized deduction for those taxes. The difference between taking the amount as a deduction or as a credit is rather simple. Find out which can save your client more money.

Tax FAQs

International Tax Law FAQs

If my client is a US citizen but has been living outside the United States, must I file a tax return for him? If a client is employed outside of the United States, does he have to report income earned outside the US on his tax return? Find the answers to these questions and more!